Canon today launches the EOS RP – a small, light and practical full frame mirrorless camera, for advanced amateurs looking to take a step-up into Canon’s revolutionary EOS R System.
Ideal for travel, landscape and portrait photography and videography, the EOS RP promises greater potential opening up all the benefits of the EOS R System – including the world’s fastest autofocus at 0.05 seconds.
Today, Canon also announces the development of the RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM – the perfect travel companion – practical in both size and performance, plus a further five RF lenses that are in development and will be released in 2019.
The EOS RP is an affordable yet advanced camera in Canon’s full frame line-up. Offering next generation full frame optical performance with the potential that the RF lens mount offers, with its high-speed 12-pin communication system, short back focus and wide 54-mm mount diameter. Built from the ground up, the RF mount provides lenses with new levels of optical performance, responsiveness and functionality.
And what's with the P? It stands for Popular – Canon says that this is a camera 'for the people', meaning it's intended to have wide range appeal. AT EOS magazine, we're think they're right – the camera has instant familiarity and all of the right elements to it.
One new feature that caught our eye is Focus Bracketing for macro photography – we'll be putting that and the new EOS RP camera to the test in a future issue of EOS magazine.
Read the Canon EOS RP press release and full specification
• All-new 26.2 megapixel full frame CMOS sensor
• DIGIC 8 processor
• Dual Pixel CMOS A
• -5 EV low light AF
• Weighs just 485g with battery and card
• World’s fastest autofocus (0.05 seconds)
• Touch and Drag AF – 4.779 selectable AF positions
• New Focus Bracketing feature
• ISO range from 100 to 40,000, expandable to 50-102,400)
• Magnesium allow chassis, dust- and water-resistance
• OLED Electronic viewfinder with 100% coverage
• Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
• Silent shooting
• Vari-angle LCD screen
• Dual sensing image stabilisation (IS)
• 4K video and time-lapse
• CRAW file format
• RAW files compatible with DPP Express
• In-camera Digital Lens Optimizer for automatic lens correction
• Optional Extension grip EG-E1 for improved handling
• Direct compatibility with RF lens system, plus compatibility with EF and EF-S lenses via adapters
The Canon EOS RP will be available from 27 February 2019 with the following RSPs:
• EOS RP body with Mount Adapter EF-EOS R £1,399.99/€1,629.99
• EOS RP with RF 24-105mm f4L IS USM and Mount Adapter EF-EOS R £2,329.99/€2,729.99