Skip to main content


Showing posts from February, 2013

Mixed reality - merging two worlds

Canon is launching MREAL - an imaging science breakthrough that seamlessly combines the virtual world of computer-generated imagery (CGI) with a real-world environment.

Mixed Reality brings users into a 3-D world where - with unprecedented realism - they can walk through a scene, survey a landscape and interact with an object or environment. However, MREAL is not a consumer gadget. With a price tag around $125,000, it is targetting designers and manufacturers.

With MREAL, a design team can examine virtual models from nearly any angle. to see how components manufactured at different locations will fit together, for example. It is also possible to evaluate intricate design details, such as how light might reflect off the interior trim of a new car. 

There is more information and an informative video at:

Slower focusing with Speedlite AF Assist

Depending upon the shooting conditions, it may take slightly longer for the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS-1D X  cameras to acquire focus when using a Speedlite's AF Assist Beam. This is compared with the focusing speed of the EOS 5D Mark II and EOS-1D Mark IV cameras using a Speedlite's AF Assist Beam.

Canon is developing a solution to enhance the focusing feature for the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS-1D X and plans to release firmware updates based on following schedule:
- EOS 5D Mark III:  late April 2013 (estimated)
- EOS-1D X:late May 2013 (estimated)

PocketWizard with EOS 1D X and 5D Mark III

When the EOS 1D X and 5D Mark III were introduced, they proved to be incompatible with the PocketWizard MiniTT1 and FlexTT5 radio flash control units. Pocket Wizard has been working to resolve the problem and now has firmware updates for the units.

You will find the update for the EOS 5D Mark III at:

The firmware for the EOS 1D X is still in beta, but you can download it at:

Canon rolls out inkjet cartridge recycling scheme

Canon Europe has announced the European roll out of its inkjet cartridge recycling scheme. This follows the successful completion of an extensive one-year trial recycling programme in the UK and Germany.

Consumers in 15 European countries can now recycle Canon inkjet cartridges. The scheme is available in the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Slovakia, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

The scheme allows customers to recycle genuine Canon inkjet cartridges for free and ensures that 100% of each cartridge is diverted from landfill. More than 97% of each cartridge is reused and recycled into other products with the remaining 3% being used to generate energy from waste.

To participate, customers can visit a dedicated area on the Canon website and select their home country. After completing a quick and easy form, Canon will supply freepost return envelopes in which the cartridges can be returned fo…